It is generally well known by my friends and family that I love berries! The taste, the colour, the sweet smell, and of course, the health benefits. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and mulberries all contain wonderful health properties.
The benefits include:
1. high in vitamin C
2. high in antioxidants such as: anthocyanadins (found in blueberries)
3. relatively low in fructose (sugar)
4. help in the prevention of cataracts (due to antioxidants)
5. anti-cancer foods containing ellagic acid (helps fight free-radicals)
6. anti-wrinkle foods, because of the vitamin C content. Vitamin C promotes collagen synthesis which helps keep our skin smooth and looking plump.
7. anti-inflammatory, which helps with numerous diseases such as arthritis.
8. high in fibre, which is important for digestive function
9. generally low calorie (1 and 1/2 cups equals less than 100cal)
10. great for pre-natal health due to the natural folic acid in the fruit (especially strawberries)
These are just 10 of the many reasons why you should eat berries.
One rule of thumb I use with my weight loss patients is to keep all sugars out of the diet! This includes natural sugars like fruit juices, starches from rice, and some fruits. I do however encourage them to eat 1/2 cup of berries every day.
Patients who have trouble with varicose veins or spider veins also can benefit from the nutrients in strawberries and raspberries.
Interestingly back in the 13th and 14th centuries strawberries were used by the monks in France to treat depressive illnesses. This may have been to the number of nutrients contained within the little red fruit.
Have a berry nice day!